How To Check Hard Drive Health On Mac
No hard drive lasts forever. Each hard drive reaches its end of life after a specific period. A hard drive shows some signs, like unnecessary noises, corrupted files, etc., telling you that it has reached the end of its life.
Is it possible to know a hard drive's health?
Definitely yes. There are some quick and simple methods that help you to check your hard drive’s health and maintain it properly. This article shows how to check the hard drive health on Mac.
Check The Hard Drive Health On Mac In 2022
If you’re using a Mac computer, you have two different ways to check the health of the hard drive installed on it.
- Checking the System Report
- Using the Disk Utility tool
Both the methods are straightforward to perform. We have shown you how to check the hard drive health on Mac using these two methods in the section below. Go through both the methods and choose the one that you find easy, simple, and quick to perform.
Before you begin, ensure that the drive for which you want to check the health is connected or installed on your Mac computer.
Check The Hard Drive Health - System Report
- Click on the Apple icon in the taskbar of your Mac computer.
- Choose the About this Mac option from the list.
- Now, a window that lets you know about your computer will open.
- Expand the Hardware section in the opened window.
- Choose the Storage option below the Hardware section.
- This will show you the hard drives installed on your computer and their capacity details.
- Choose the drive from the list. Now, the selected drive details, such as capacity, file system, name, etc., will be displayed below the Storage section.
- Locate S.M.A.R.T Status. If the Verified command is displayed beside this option, it means your drive is healthy.
- If the Failing command is displayed, it means there is a problem with your hard drive.
Check The Hard Drive Health - Using The Disk Utility Tool
- Open the Disk Utility tool on your Mac computer.
- Choose the drive and click the First Aid button.
- Now, a pop-up dialog box titled ‘Run First Aid…’ will open.
- Click the Run button on it to check the selected hard drive’s health.
- The health status of the selected drive will be displayed on the screen at the end of the checking process.
Want to know further details about How To Check Hard Drive Health on Mac? If yes, use the call option on this page to contact us.Contact Us