How To Recover Data From An External Hard Drive
Have you accidentally deleted files from your hard drive? Is your data missing after connecting the hard drive? Can’t access your files from the hard drive? Well, this article gives you the solution for all these queries. You will learn how to recover your data from an external hard drive within a few seconds in different ways. Continue reading this article without skipping any of the steps to retrieve your data trouble-free.
Using Command Prompt in Windows
This section describes how to recover data from your external hard drive that is corrupted by malware on your Windows computer.
- To begin with, connect your hard drive properly to your computer.
- Next, click the Start menu and type ‘cmd’ in the search field.
- From the search results, select Command Prompt and click the Run as administrator button.
- Click the Yes button if the User Account Control window appears.
- In the Command Prompt window, type the attrib -h -r -s /s d X:*.* command (make sure you replace the letter X in the command with the actual drive letter) and hit the Enter key.
- Wait for Command Prompt to fix the issue automatically and recover your data.
Using First Aid in Disk Utility on Mac
This section describes how to recover data from an external hard drive that is connected to a Mac computer.
- Connect the hard drive to your Mac.
- Open the Finder app and click the Applications tab.
- Select and double-click the Disk Utility icon.
- Alternatively, open Spotlight Search and type disk utility in the search field. Click to launch Disk Utility from the search results.
- When the Disk Utility window launches, select your external hard drive from the left-side panel.
- Click the First Aid icon at the top of the Disk Utility window.
- Wait for Disk Utility to diagnose and rectify the issues automatically to recover the data from the drive.
If the above two methods don’t recover the data from your external hard drive, use a third-party data recovery software, such as Recoverit, EaseUS Data Recovery, Stellar Info, Disk Drill, and so on.
Using the data recovery software
- First, connect your hard drive to your computer and launch the data recovery software.
- Choose your hard drive from the available list.
- Next, specify the file type you want to recover and click the Scan button.
- Wait until the scan is completed.
- Preview your files from the scan results.
- Pick the data you want and click the Recover button.
- Specify a location on your computer to save the file you are recovering.
- Once the process is completed, close the data recovery software.
- Remove and reconnect the drive to your computer.
- Move the recovered files to your hard drive.
Now, you have learned how to recover data from an external hard drive. If you need assistance with the above procedures, reach our technical experts through the call option on this page. We are just one call away!.